May 28, 2013

The BRAIN





Last Thursday we had a guest speaker at FAIR Forum. Lue Douthit is the director of Literary Development and Dramaturgy at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. She said a number of things that were of interest to me (my note taking chunk of paper is sitting with my script in the SM office – the one day I forget to bring it home with me....oh well for another blog post) one in particular dealt with the human brain and the act of watching live theatre. I've always been a huge believer that live theatre is far better than television and I think a fair amount of people agree but why? That has always been the question and as it turns out science is starting to provide some answers.
There have been countless studies focusing on the brain and its various functions but as many studies as there have been there have been that many more questions asked - it really is an organ we know very little about. A study Lue read talked about how the brain reacts to different types of stimulation. The study detailed that while watching live theatre the brain reacts as though it is actually doing what is being observed. Tiny neurons firing and reacting just as if the observer were a participant in the onstage action. In the case of television (another watched form of entertainment) the brain and those tiny neurons essentially remain asleep. They don't react. This sit doing nothing. I found this simply fascinating.
Speaking of brains; mine feels like it is in overdrive these days. We have finished tech and are moving head first into our first dress rehearsal Wednesday evening. We are also smack dab in the middle of our FAIR Expressions project which goes up Monday the 3rd – to say the least my organizing/tracking capabilities are being stretched to their limits. This brain is ready for shows to open so it can relax and enjoy the ride.
For lack of being able to photograph my brain let alone anyone else's, this photograph of my hat shall have to suffice – it keeps my brain from frying like and egg when we are onstage during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment