Mar 1, 2012

Staples Center Experience

Wednesday evening I was lucky enough to get to go to the Timberwolves vs. Lakers NBA game. My roommate was able to get us some pretty nice tickets from a friend of hers who even threw in two passes to the Lexus Lounge - a fancy "members only" type lounge that you have to have tickets to get into.

Arriving at the Staples Center - we got lucky and found a parking spot less than 2 blocks away ($15 but I didn't have to buy anything else that night so I figured I could manage)


Our tickets - If you look really close you can see the VIP status on the lower right corner of the game ticket


Walking to our seats - the stadium was packed, all the way up to the nose bleed seats - the ones that are stacked so much on top of each other that if you slipped you'd probably fall all the way down to the court.


The view from Premier Seating Section 6 Row 3 seat 12


RICKY RUBBBBIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! (the announcer just didn't do it justice - I was wishing I had the Minnesota announcers on radio feed or something)


Half time - we headed to the lounge


This place was pretty nice. We walked in and were greeted by some winery that was doing a wine tasting so we each had a glass of wine - I actually finished my glass, a rarity if you know anything about me and my affinity for the finer grapes - and then moved on to the dessert tables. There were mini cheesecakes, tarts, a candy bar with all kinds of m&m's, skittles, gummy bears etc., an ice cream bar, a coffee cart, all kinds of hors-devours (why is that word so hard to spell?)
It was pretty great. We hung out on the patio for a few minutes which is where the above picture was taken and then headed back into the game.



I was super unimpressed by the L.A. fan base, more than half had left by the middle of the 3rd quarter and at that point MN was still well with in recovering distance. It was certainly interesting being one of the few MN supporters - there was a guy in the row behind us who also cheered green and blue and we certainly had a good time holding our own against the Laker fans. It was probably good that MN lost, I'm not sure I would have walked out alive if they had won. LA fans are sore losers even when they are winning. It was super fun to see a game live. The whole experience reminded me of a circus. The Laker Girls danced about 8 times in 8 different outfits they tried to give money away at least 2 times, maybe 3 and there was some sort of video game race car race happening on the big screen at one point. Kind of makes me think of the spectacle shows you might have seen at the Colosseum in Rome. When the game finished we didn't have much trouble getting back to our car because a majority of the people around had already left. I had so much fun I'd like to go again, not sure that will happen with my show schedule but if the opportunity arose I definitely wouldn't say no.
GO TIMBERWOLVES!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment